Fulfilling Life’s Yearnings Is Going Out and Doing Whatever You Want To Do and Having Fun With It. -Travis McClure
What’s up FLY Zone,
Today I have Travis McClure joining me in the FLY Zone. Travis and I hadn’t talked to each other in a few years, but now of that mattered when I reached out to him to be on the show a few months ago, back in September of 2015. Things didn’t work out, so we were unable to do the show when it was originally scheduled, but with patience, and a little bit of time in between, we were able to make the episode a real thing.
For background, Travis is 24 years old, currently living in Wanaque, New Jersey. He grew up in Michigan playing basketball and soccer, and then went to Michigan State University, where he received his Bachelor’s degree in Entomology. He then went on to receive his Masters degree in Entomology from North Carolina State University.
Now he is working for Hartz Pet Products, where he is testing the efficacy of chemical compounds and helping to determine if they will make viable flea and tick repelling and killing products for cats and dogs.
Starting his senior year of college at MSU, through today, he has been training for and competing on the TV show American Ninja Warrior. When he turned 21, he had just turned the age limit for the show, so that’s the point when his fitness became directed towards a goal.
To date, he has competed on Season 4 and Season 7, but neither of his runs were aired on TV.
Last year, he created ANWFantasy.com, a fantasy football like game, where fans pick ninjas and acquire points bases on how their ninja does during the current American Ninja Warrior Season.
His 3 Favorite Topics To Talk About are:
- Ninja Warrior
- Fantasy Sports
In this episode, you’ll discover:
- Who Travis is [01:25]
- Why Travis chose entomology as a career – hint he loves bugs [02:17]
- What Travis does at work everyday [02:50]
- Travis’ New Jersey experience [03:30]
- Travis’ behind-the-scenes story for wanting to be on American Ninja Warrior and what it took to make it on the show [05:34]
- What drove Travis to train for 4 years [08:40]
- What American Ninja Warrior (ANW) is [09:15]
- What Travis did in the first video submission that got him on ANW in Season 4 [10:35]
- What’s the timeline for submitting to ANW [12:38]
- Where Travis competed at for Season 4 [15:00]
- How the stages for the show work; What happens after your submission is accepted; and How your run potentially makes it on TV [16:05]
- How far Travis made it on Season 4 and Season 7 [17:07]
- What happens to the contestants that make it far on the show [20:25]
- Who makes money on ANW [21:50]
- If you win, what do you get, and can you come back [22:55]
- Where Travis goes for training, now that the show is popular [23:38]
- How are the guys that make far on the show, in real life [25:30]
- Are there any contestants on ANW from Michigan (other than Travis) [26:50]
- What ANWFantasy.com is [28:05]
- Waiting in line for ANW is a crazy/fun experience [30:38]
- How many people played ANWFantasy last season [32:40]
- What Travis is doing if he wins the $1 million dollar prize money [34:50]
- Whether Travis has met Kristine Leahy, Co-host of ANW, and what other host has he met [36:35]
- What Travis is looking forward to next year [39:20]
- Travis’ CTA – Just submit your video, be you, and make it about you [40:50]
- Travis’ definition of Fulfilling Life’s Yearnings – Going out and doing whatever you want to do and having fun with it [41:59]
Want to Connect
You can find ways to connect with Travis and learn more about ANWFanasty, as well as other tidbits, below in the Additional Resources Section.
Join the Conversation
My favorite part of doing these podcasts is participating in the conversation they provoke. Each episode, I ask one FLY question. This episode, it is this:
Question: Travis said that he does the things that make him happy. What things are you doing that brings you happiness and allows you to Fulfill Life’s Yearnings? Share your answer on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn.
Explore Additional Resources
In this episode we mentioned the following resources:
- Website: ANWFantasy.com
- Facebook Group
- Twitter Page
- MudRunGuide.com – The worldwide leader in mud runs, obstacle course races, and outdoor running adventures
Ask Me a Question
If you have a question, comment, thought or concern, you can do so by clicking here. I’d love to hear from you.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you are new to the show, go here to and listen to FLY episode 001: Welcome to The Fulfilling Life’s Yearnings Podcast. This episode will catch you up to speed about: what my show is about, what Fulfilling Life’s Yearnings is, who I am, and the format of my show.
Another great episode that will get you up to speed is FLY episode 020: FLY Millennials Making History. On this episode, I share that I am expanding the show to include conversations with Millennials that are Fulfilling their Life’s Yearnings. These Millennials are writing the script of their lives to whatever they want it be, and are taking action on their dreams to make them a reality.
Share the Love
Thanks so much for joining me today in The FLY Zone. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note for Blake in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of this post.
Also, please leave an honest review for Fulfilling Life’s Yearnings with Blake Soulet here at http://www.fulfillinglifesyearnings.com/reviews. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and hugely appreciated! They do matter in getting the word out and raising awareness of the show, and I enjoy reading each and every one of them.