Fulfilling Life’s Yearnings Is Finding A Way To Have The Best Quality of Life That I Can. -Kelly O’Laughlin
What’s up FLY Zone,
Today I have the very awesome and incredible, Kelly O’Laughlin on the show and boy was I excited to have her on as a guest, as we were finally able to connect with each other, and my excitement was well placed, since we had a great time on the show together.
I was excited because I had discovered Kelly a few months ago because of her Podcast, The Highly Sensitive Person, and I thought that that was an interesting show topic to have, especially since I did not know much about it, so I reached out to Kelly about being on the show, and here we are today, making it happen. Our conversation on the show is very enlightening, as she is bringing light to a subject that is not talked about much, and is debunking the misinformed statements that people make about a person that is an HSP or Highly Sensitive Person.
So as you can imagine, today’s show is a different episode about Fulfilling Life’s Yearnings. All the episodes are educational, as is this one, as Kelly shares how she is Fulfilling Life’s Yearnings. This episode is also spreading awareness about HSP, so you will be able to derive value from the interview, that relates to Fulfilling Life’s Yearnings.
Allow me to tell you a little about Kelly. She is driven by an endless curiosity combined with the desire to inform and entertain others. Her mission is to spread understanding and acceptance of high sensitivity in a way that is relatable, honest, and meaningful. She does this through her blog, A Highly Sensitive Person’s Life, the Highly Sensitive Person Podcast, and a book, too. Kelly is a freelance writer based in Southern California. You can find her @hisensitivelife.
In this episode, you’ll discover:
- Who Kelly is and the journey that led her to where she is now (1:40).
- What drew Kelly to really be moved by the subject, Highly Sensitive People (4:20).
- What is/isn’t a Highly Sensitive Person. Another way to say it is Having Sensory Processing Sensitivity (6:20).
- Being Highly Sensitive is something that is in your brain and you’re born with it (10:00).
- A big moment for the HSP Movement (10:50).
- What introvert and extrovert really mean (12:20).
- A quiz you can to see if you are an HSP and how knowing can impact your life and others when you are more aware of yourself (14:40).
- Whether you should tell people that you are an HSP. Kelly’s response to the question might surprise you (18:10).
- Optimal environments for HSPs (20:00).
- What is it about what Kelly is doing that fulfills her (24:30).
- Kelly discusses her book, A Highly Sensitive Person’s Life (25:40).
- How to Thrive As A Highly Sensitive Person (27:00).
- What to do as an HSP when you interact with other personality traits (37:40).
- Kelly’s cTA: Utilize the resources to see if you are an HSP. If you are not, just be open-minded that there are people like that. If high sensitivity was a bad trait, if it was something that was negative to humans, it would have been bread out of us a long time ago. There’s a reason why people are still born with the trait in our brains. There are benefits to it. Otherwise humankind would have gotten rid of it (42:18).
- Kelly’s definition of Fulfilling Life’s Yearnings: Just finding a way to have the best quality of life that I can and realize that not every moment is happy. You can’t be happy all the time because if you don’t have unhappiness, you can’t have happiness, so it’s a balance in the way that you feel fulfilled and calm and that includes self-care. Don’t forget to take care of yourself. Find something you can do everyday, whether it’s your job or career, that you’re content with. You don’t have to be thrilled everyday. You’re not gonna be bouncing off the walls, happy everyday. It should be something you’re content with, and if you’re not, you need to be a change. Change is scary, but also exciting. So embrace the excitement and think that you’re always gonna end up ok. Like if you trust in yourself and you work hard and you’re a good person, I like to think that if you put that out there, kind of in the universe that things will end up being ok. You have to trust yourself and don’t be afraid to make changes in your life because you’re smart, you’re hardworking, and things will work out. Overall, trust in yourself, self-care, and don’t think that you need to be wildly happy every single day. You just need to be content and have a good quality of life (44:40).
Want to Connect
You can connect with Kelly through her website below in Explore Additional Resources.
Join the Conversation
My favorite part of doing these podcasts is participating in the conversation they provoke. Each episode, I ask one FLY question. This episode, it is this:
Question: Today’s show was about how to thrive as an HSP. Whether you are an HSP or not, do you know how to thrive in your life so you can Fulfill Life’s Yearnings? What are you doing? Share your answer on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn.
Explore Additional Resources
In this episode we mentioned the following resources:
- Kelly’s Blog – A Highly Sensitive Person
- Podcast – The Highly Sensitive Person Podcast
- Book – A Highly Sensitive Person’s Life: Stories & Advice for those who experience the world intesnsely
- Book – Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain
- Book – The Untethered Soul by Michael Singer
- Books by Marcus Engle
- Dr. Elaine Aron – Promiment HSP Researcher
- Movie – Sensitive, The Untold Story by Dr. Elaine Aron
- Self-Tests on HSP
Ask Me a Question
If you have a question, comment, thought or concern, you can do so by clicking here. I’d love to hear from you.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you are new to the show, go here to and listen to FLY episode 001: Welcome to The Fulfilling Life’s Yearnings Podcast. This episode will catch you up to speed about: what my show is about, what Fulfilling Life’s Yearnings is, who I am, and the format of my show.
Another great episode that will get you up to speed is FLY episode 020: FLY Millennials Making History. On this episode, I share that I am expanding the show to include conversations with Millennials that are Fulfilling their Life’s Yearnings. These Millennials are writing the script of their lives to whatever they want it be, and are taking action on their dreams to make them a reality.
Share the Love
Thanks so much for joining me today in The FLY Zone. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note for Blake in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of this post.
Also, please leave an honest review for Fulfilling Life’s Yearnings with Blake Soulet here at http://www.fulfillinglifesyearnings.com/reviews. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and hugely appreciated! They do matter in getting the word out and raising awareness of the show, and I enjoy reading each and every one of them.
This post Kelly O’Laughlin Talks About Hot To Thrive As A Highly Sensitive Person appeared first on Fulfilling Life’s Yearnings.