Fulfilling Life’s Yearnings Is Taking Yourself Seriously. – Amanda Zimmerman
What’s up FLY Zone,
Today’s guest is the beautiful and smart and adventurous, Amanda Zimmerman. She is also my #wcw for the week. (Hey Amanda :)). Amanda is another guest that I reached out to online, after I saw her mentioned in a post on Facebook. I follow her mom, Sue B. Zimmerman, because she’s an Instagram expert, and as I was checking out her page, I came across a post that was congratulating Amanda, who was just recently on a podcast, sharing her experience from living in four cities in four months.
When I saw that, I thought to myself, that is so badass. And what really got me interested in connecting with her is the fact that she is a Millennial as well. As a matter of fact, she is a FLY Millennial.
Amanda is not your average 20-something. After graduating college in 2014 and working at her first 9-to-5, she left her unfulfilling job and lived in 4 cities in 4 months to explore how to truly live with purpose.
Her personal blog, dresseswithpockets.net, houses tales from her nomadic personal journey.
Her 3 Favorite Topics To Talk About are:
- Why college doesn’t prepare students for the “real world”
- Putting yourself in uncomfortable and unfamiliar situations to push yourself and figure out what you want to do with yourself
- Cold emailing and reaching out to strangers
In this episode, you’ll discover:
- Amanda’s story (01:20).
- How Amanda was able to take the leap to leave her job and how her journey started (03:34).
- If there was any fear/doubt in her mind about what she was doing and how she dealt with it (08:08).
- How she would address people from the different cities she went to, asking her why she was doing what she did, and how she was able to make money (13:00).
- What Amanda was doing in each city (15:15).
- If there was a point during her experience that she thought she was plateauing (19:26).
- What Amanda got out of her experience from going to four cities in four months and whether she found her calling – she did. Leadership and Personal development for teens (21:30).
- Why Amanda feels that college doesn’t prepare students for the “real world” – college didn’t stress the importance of networking; actually getting to know people (26:30).
- The worst thing that can happen when you reach out to a person – they can say no. If they do say no, those are the people you don’t want to meet with anyways (29:20).
- What wakes Amanda up in the morning and ready to live (30:00).
- What she did can be replicated. Just take the mindset she had and apply it where you live (32:00).
- What are steps we could take to do the same thing in our own backyard (33:20).
- Go on Twitter and Instagram and find local people who you are interested in and tap into other people’s social media networks
- Send them a message to meet
- Did reaching out to people come easy to Amanda – Her suggestion is to force yourself to do it (35:25).
- A few books that Amanda recommends and the one that inspired her journey (38:15).
- How her current job fits into what she wants to do because of her VIP (Value, interests, and principals) (42:20).
- Amanda’s definition of Fulfilling Life’s Yearnings (44:45) – Fulfilling Life’s Yearnings is Taking your seriously.
- The importance of journaling and when Amanda does it – you can google prompts for journaling (47:20).
Want to Connect
You can find ways to connect with Amanda and learn more about 4 months x 4 cities, as well as other tidbits, below in the Additional Resources Section.
Join the Conversation
My favorite part of doing these podcasts is participating in the conversation they provoke. Each episode, I ask one FLY question. This episode, it is this:
Question: Amanda talked how she forced herself into uncomfortable situations to help her grow. What uncomfortable situation have you put yourself in recently, which helped you grow and/or learn what you are made of? Share your answer on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or LinkedIn.
Explore Additional Resources
In this episode we mentioned the following resources:
- The Quarter-Life Breakthrough by Smiley Poswolsky
- 52 Cups of Coffee by Megan Gebhart
- The Crossroads of Should and Must by Elle Luna
- Hacking Your Education by Dale Stephens
- Adulting by Kelly Williams Brown
- Amanda’s Instagram account
Ask Me a Question
If you have a question, comment, thought or concern, you can do so by clicking here. I’d love to hear from you.
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you are new to the show, go here to and listen to FLY episode 001: Welcome to The Fulfilling Life’s Yearnings Podcast. This episode will catch you up to speed about: what my show is about, what Fulfilling Life’s Yearnings is, who I am, and the format of my show.
Another great episode that will get you up to speed is FLY episode 020: FLY Millennials Making History. On this episode, I share that I am expanding the show to include conversations with Millennials that are Fulfilling their Life’s Yearnings. These Millennials are writing the script of their lives to whatever they want it be, and are taking action on their dreams to make them a reality.
Share the Love
Thanks so much for joining me today in The FLY Zone. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note for Blake in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of this post.
Also, please leave an honest review for Fulfilling Life’s Yearnings with Blake Soulet here at http://www.fulfillinglifesyearnings.com/reviews. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and hugely appreciated! They do matter in getting the word out and raising awareness of the show, and I enjoy reading each and every one of them.